Between Bible and Qur'an: Site Visits
Students will visit Christian, Jewish and Muslim prayer services (choose 2 service from different religious traditions, services which you do not normally or usually attend) and write up a reflection on their experiences on the basis the following questions. Reports may be submitted any time after the visit, but #1 must be submitted by the beginning of class on May 1 and #2 no later than the beginning of class on June 5. The approximately 2 page Site Visit Report should include the following (you may answer each item individually, or weave the responses into a narrative framework):
- Your name
- Name and address of the church, synagogue, mosque, community center, or place of worship
- Time (when to when?)
- Describe the worship space/meeting place
- Estimate the number of people in attendance
- Describe your expectations or pre-conceived notions. Did you have expectations about what it would be like, based on your own experiences or what you have heard? Did the service correspond to your expectations?
- Describe the service. What happened?
- What did you enjoy least about the service?
- What did you enjoy most?
- What did you learn about this religious community?
- Now that you have been to this service, if you were to attend this service sometime in the future, what would you do differently?
Feel free to include a photo if you like. Upload your site visit into the dropbox provided on CANVAS.