Things A User Should Know About Melatonin
Most of us know of melatonin tablets mainly as a sleeping aid available as a stand-alone supplement or as desserts that induce sleep. Early uses of melatonin point towards frequent fliers who emphasized its benefits as all natural jet lag cure. This is not all because marketers these days are promoting its anti-ageing benefits and even life enhancement capabilities.
What is melatonin?
Pineal gland associated with our brain secretes this hormone and it contains tryptophan amino acid. Your brain naturally releases this hormone during nighttime instructing your body that it's time you fall asleep. As one ages the secretion of melatonin decreases as well. As we will observe children who are below the age of 3 sleeps the most, that's because melatonin levels in their body is at its highest. Similarly, once you reach the age of 50 and beyond its levels are 10X lower. Researchers haven't yet proved the exact functioning of this hormone but it is believed that it lowers the temperature of the body lulling it to sleep.
Off the counter melatonin
When you are purchasing this tablet supplements across the counter at pharmacies or at the grocery stores you will find that two different variations exists. One is the synthetic variety and other one in its natural form. Natural variety is extracted from animal pineal gland whereas the synthetic forms contain chemical compounds. Both the forms have their specific benefits, natural varieties being safer whereas synthetic varieties free from different biological contaminants.
What are the main associated benefits?
Besides its uses as a sleep aid, melatonin is also known to reduce the risks associated with stroke and cancer. Use it for getting,
- Restorative sleep: all of us need to get undisturbed sleep because it packs healing properties. Our bodies get a chance during this time to re-engage different functions and rejuvenate. This in turn promotes healing, repair, muscle growth, restoration of tissues, cells, and organs.
- Cancer survival: studies show that pairing of chemotherapy with melatonin improves the survival rates in cancer patients. This happens in case of gastrointestinal cancers, solid advanced tumor, breast metastatic cancer, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, cancer related to neck or head among others.
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): people suffering from SAD will also benefit from restorative properties of melatonin. It helps to alleviate depression. Based upon specific cases one may have to take the tablets during mid-afternoon or early mornings.
- Minimizing stroke and cancer risk: among the anti-oxidants produced by our bodies, melatonin is the most potent. Antioxidants prevent cell damage from unstable molecules like free radicals besides safeguarding against high diseases, stroke, cancer, and other potentially fatal health issues. Low melatonin levels lead to an increased risk of liver, breast, and prostate cancer among others.
- Some other benefits: besides various potential applications other probable uses of melatonin is in immune system boosting, migraine headaches and even Alzheimer’s disease.
If you know about the various benefits of melatonin or other useful products such as teeth whitening strips but associated prices keep you from using them, visit Discounthealthproducts.co.uk now.
About The Author
Jeffery Janet is a professional full-time article and blog writer. His area of interest is wellness/health. He likes to guide people by giving tips on healthcare and wellness. According to him DiscountHealthProducts.co.uk is one of the best website to provide quality health products on discounted prices.