1) The atmosphere doesn't just cover the earth like a blanket. It does a lot to protects us, and one thing it does is protect us from meteors and rocks from crushing us.
2) The Troposphere is the lowest layer of the atmosphere, and that's where all the weather occur.
3) Then there's the Stratophere its the second lowest layer of the atmosphere, and what it does is blocks the suns rays from burning us.
4) The Atmosphere is made up of gases and the main gas is Nitrogen.
5) Gravity also holds the atmosphere close to the earth. The atmosphere is divided by the temperature.
6) The atmosphere also keeps the earth at the right temperature, not cold, not hot, but warm