Building the Finest PC's since 1999
What We Do
Our mission since we started Computer Creators, was to build the perfect PC, for our customers. We have made hundreds of custom built computers, which we tailor specifically for the order. Whether it's for gaming, or creating movies, we can do it all. Choose Computer Creators for your next PC build!
OUR LATEST BUILD
On our latest build, we received an order for a local jewellery/accessory business owner, looking to expand their business online. The customer needed a custom computer to keep track of their business details, and starting and managing their own website as well. We let them know that this would be no problem, as we can build any computer, for any customer!
How We Build The Perfect Computer
Building the perfect computer for our customers, comes with a few required components. Specific parts and pieces in computers have special functions and capabilities, and can help to personalize a computer for a users specific needs.
The Hardware Parts Required for this Build:
- ATX Tower (or mid-tower) case- ATX is the typical form factor used for motherboards by today's modern desktop computers. A case has space for a power supply, optical drives, and other internal hardware.
- Power Supply- The power supply is a key component of a desktop computer. You need enough watts to power your entire system internal parts.
- CPU- The CPU (Central Processing Unit) uses electrical signals to direct the entire computer system to carry out stored program instructions. We recommend the Intel Core i5 Processor for this computer, as it allows high processing speeds for editing, and publishing documents.
- Motherboard- The motherboard is the main circuit board of your computer, and is what makes everything in your computer work together.The motherboard holds the computers CPU, ROM, memory RAM expansion slots, PCI slots, and USB ports. It also includes controllers for devices like the hard drive, DVD drive, keyboard, and mouse.
- RAM / Memory- RAM, also known as Random Access Memory, is a storage location that allows information to be stored and accessed quickly from random locations within the DRAM. 8Gb of RAM will be sufficient for this computer, allowing our client to easily access all business documents.
- Graphics/video card- A graphics card or GPU, is basically another core/brain with it's own RAM for displaying your graphics from your games/movies, etc. Since we do not require dedicated graphics for our customers, we will be utilizing a pre-set GPU.
- Sound card- A component that can be slotted into the motherboard, allowing the use of audio for multimedia applications.
- SSD - Solid State Drive- a storage device containing flash memory, used in place of a hard disk because of its much greater speed. This will be useful for our customer while trying to quickly locate and edit spreadsheets/important documents.
- Speakers- Speakers provide a better audio output, and will be useful for editing and creating certain elements for our customers website.
- Screen (LCD)- Every computer needs a screen, and we would not be able to essentially see anything without it!
- Keyboard- A comfortable keyboard is important for our customer, whether it is for inputting information into financial documents, or editing a website.
- Mouse- With every keyboard, comes a mouse! A mouse makes using a computer much easier to navigate through.
- Optical drive (DVD burner)- An optical burner such as a DVD-RW drive, will play DVDs, CDs, and burn DVDs and CDs. This can be useful for any important programs or hard copy files sent over a CD.
- Surge Protector- A surge protector or uninterruptible power supply, will allow our customer to hook up their system power cords to one outlet, creating a neater environment. Adding UPS can be also be great safety feature incase of a computer when the power goes out. This will allow our customer to have a few minutes to save their spreadsheet (or open website)
- Hard Drive (HDD)- Modernard drives typically use a SATA interface to connect to the motherboard. This interface uses cables a lot more convenient than IDE cables. We will be using an HDD with 1TB of memory, to ensure there is enough storage for our customer's files and documents.
- Wireless Network Card- A wireless network card is needed for using a computer with a wireless network. We will ensure that the format is compatible with our customers access point or router.
- Printer/Scanner Centre- While not a necessity, we figured that a Printer/Scanner Centre could be quite useful for a business owner, as it will allow our customer to easily scan, or print any important files/spreadsheets, right onto their new computer.
The Software Programs Recommended for this Build:
Windows 8.1 Pro- Windows 8.1 includes all the unique, intuitive features of Windows 8.1 plus enhanced options designed for professional productivity. You can connect to company networks, access one PC from another, encrypt your data and more.
Microsoft Office Home and Business- Designed for business and household use, Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013 will help our customer manage their business, and other related work more efficiently. It comes with updated versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and Outlook as well as 7GB of online storage in OneDrive, so you can efficiently work on business related documents, and access them from any connected location.
QuickBooks Pro-The flowchart-based accounting of QuickBooks is as close to a standard in financial management as the small-business world has, and it's arguably the easiest way for nonprofessionals to transfer their books from the filing cabinet to the computer, where they belong. This software could be essential for our client, as it provides them with a staring set-up of taking their business to the digital world.
Mozy Pro- Backing up files to an external hard drive device in your office is common, but is not always reliable, and can be lost. With an online backup service like Mozy, our client is able to automatically archives whatever they like across the Internet, safe and sound. This can ensure the safety of saving their website work online, and important files as well.
Google Chrome- Google Chrome is a free online browser, which our company strongly recommends for our client's computers. Whether it is editing their website, or searching the web for new innovative ideas, Google Chrome is capable of handling it all.
ATX Tower- Cooler Master HAF 922 $129
Power Supply- CORSAIR HX Series HX850 $180
Motherboard- ASUS Z97M-PLUS LGA Intel Motherboard $150
RAM / Memory- CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) $100
Sound card- Creative Sound Blaster Audigy $30
Speakers- SONY SS-B1000 $60
Screen (LCD)- Asus VE228H 21.5" Full HD HDMI LED $160
Keyboard/Mouse- Logitech Desktop MK120 Mouse and keyboard Combo $12
Optical drive (DVD burner)- ASUS DRW-24B1ST $20
Surge Protector-BELKIN BE112230-08 $20
Hard Drive (HDD)- Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB-$60
Wireless Network Card-Rosewill RNX-G300LX $20
Printer/Scanner Centre- Brother MFC-J4310DW Wireless Inkjet Printer $115
-Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - English $249.99 (Best Buy)
-Office Home & Business 2013- $249.99 (Best Buy)
-QuickBooks Pro- $216.00 (Quickbooks.com)
-Mozy Pro- $219.81 (Mozy.com)
Customer's Set Budget= $2750
Final Cost (Taxes Included)= $2600.00
Yes, I managed to stay under budget. I was only $150 under the set budget, and I managed to include all necessary components, without over-spending. The strategy I used, was to purchase higher quality important hardware and software such as the CPU, and Windows 8. By spending the full capable amounts on the necessities, I had to lower the spending on some less important parts, such as the mouse and keyboard, which can be found in a standard set for $20. I can also prove that my computer is better than a pre-assembled computer. The custom computer that I built, not only contains high quality hardware, but is also designed specifically for my client with a business state of mind. A pre-assembled computer such as the HP Pavilion Desktop PC can be bought for $700 online, but would not suit my client as well. The processor is the only common factor, and the rest of the computer comes with none of the extra hardware such as monitor, speakers, etc. This computer could be used for basic home-purposes, but would not be ideal for running a business with, due to a lack of memory, software, and speed. Some of the advantages of building your own computer are shown with this, such as being able to customize the computer for your own needs. You can also control your budget, and build what you can afford. Buying a pre-assembled computer is ideal for some people however, as it is much easier and more convenient. The entire planning and assembly is not required, and there is no headache of purchasing separate components.