Chem315

Creating a Calorimeter

Roughest of drafts

By: Galen and Andrew

We will be sticking to something simplistic. Cardboard to prevent conduction, Tinfoil to prevent radiation, and creating a very small amount of air flow so the candle can breath but very little convection can occur.

Our first run worked with varying degrees of success and we ended up with a slope of 0.9. But the air inlent we had was too small and had to be made bigger for a proper test.

Run two was outstanding. We added a layer of insulation (Mhhhh yummy asbestos) to the inside and covered it in foil. We ended up with a slope of 2.8!

Run there was the expanding of the air inlets. We cut more holes around the base to see if they made a difference. We ended up with a slope of 2. So still better than the first run but not as good as the insulation.

Lastly we decided to completely cut away most of the siding around the candle to prove that it is important to keep the heat. But surprisingly we ended up with a slope of 2.1. We can't really explain why we got that result but the numbers don't lie.

Comment Stream