Physical Disabilities Discussion Board
PHYSICAL DISABILITY -
When a person's physical functioning, mobility, dexterity, or stamina in limited.
Physical disability examples:
*Acquired spinal injury
* Spina bifida
People with physical disability make up the largest minority group of the US (74.6 million) and 27 million women have disabilities in the US.
17.6% were employed in the US in 2013, 25.6% are physically inactive during the week compared to 12.8% of those without a disability.
A third of people with disabilities need assistive technology to be able to take care of themselves at home.
African-Americans and American Indian/ Alaska Natives have the highest rate of disability (24.3% for each group)
LIFE WITH A PHYSICAL DISABILITY:
- People with physical disability can lead to rich and fulfilling lives. Society cause more hindrance.
- People with a physical disability have the same rights as those who don't.
- People with a physical disability are not a burden on the community.
- People with a physical disability are human beings who deserve dignity and respect not pity or charity.
- Encourage communication between students to prevent isolation.
- Students may have a low self-image, therefore it is important to ensure that the student feels included and is encouraged and praised.
- Encourage independence.
- Use computers and audio-visual aids to enhance the students learning.