The snowy owl unlike most owls are active day and night which means they are diurnal.
They usually live about 9.5 years or 25 years if captive and are usually 3.5 to 6.5 pounds in mass.
They like to snack on rabbits, rodents, birds, fish and its preferred meal, lemming. The snowy owl eats about 3-5 lemmings a day so about 1,600 a year.
Females lay up to 11 eggs at once.
The snowy owl can be represented in cave paintings in Europe.
Other names: Harfang des neiges (french)
Taxonomy is the classification of organisms. The levels of taxonomy are kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, and species. The taxons for the snowy owl are...
- Kingdom: Animalia -multicellular, ingests food, no cell wall
- Phylum: Chordata-has a spinal chord
- Class: Aves-because it is a bird
- Order: Strigiformes- silent flight, soft landing, talons, distinct facial disk
- Family: Strigidae- elongated eyes, distinct face, larger head
- Genus: Bubo- prominent ear tuffs
- Species: B. Scandiacus- known for ear tuffs, being short and broad