Week of 5/18/15
Miss Collins Classroom News
Late Start Monday’s (school begins @ 9:05am)
- May 18
- June 1, 8
- 5/20: GP Writing Assessment
- 5/21: Volunteer Reception (see reverse)
- 5/18 & 5/27: Math NWEA Assessments
- 5/22: Talent Show (Gr. 3-5 Performances)
- 5/25: No School (Memorial Day)
- 6/2: Field Day (AM) A volunteer sign up is posted on Mason’s homepage. (6/5 rain date)
- 6/4: Hunt’s Gym (end of the year party) 10:15-12:30. Picnic lunch to follow at Mason. Packets were sent home last week. Please return forms ASAP. Thanks!
- 6/8: Author’s Tea (9:30-10:30) Join us in our room for a special reading from each of our first grade authors. Come enjoy some stories and refreshments!
- 6/10: Half Day (11:30 dismissal)
- 6/11: Last Day of School (11:30 dismissal)
- sight words: do, can, could, when, did, so, what, see, not, were, get, them, like, one, this, my, me, would, will, yes
- word focus: spelling words
*This is the LAST spelling test of the year!*
This week we began to focus on authors. We practiced this first with help from Laura Numeroff who wrote “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie” and “If You Give a Pig a Pancak e”. Students learned about how authors can have a common theme in their books and that if you like one book, chances are you’ll enjoy other books written by the same author. Kevin Henkes is the author of many other books that are enjoyed by first graders. We will continue to focus on this author’s study into next week.
Students worked so hard on their first Grosse Pointe Writing assessment this week! We will be taking the final Grosse Pointe Writing assessment next Wednesday, 5/20.
Seeds have been planted and observations have begun! Students are enjoying taking care of their plant and watching how much they change day to day.
- END OF THE YEAR PARTY INFORMATION PACKET:Please return the picnic RSVP form, Hunt’s Gym waiver and permission slip as soon as possible. A SignUpGenius will be emailed out closer to the party date for our picnic lunch.
- Grosse Pointe Writing:First graders will take their final Grosse Pointe Writing Assessment on Wednesday, 5/20. The goal is for students to include a clear beginning, middle and end and first-grade foundational skills such as capitals and punctuation. Thank you for sending your children to school with full bellies and words of encouragement on testing days.
- Volunteer Reception:will be held on Thursday, 5/21 (8:30-9:30 in the gym). Students will perform a special thank you to all of the awesome Mason parent volunteers! Performances will begin around 9am. A copy of the first grade song has been sent home if your child wishes to practice more after school. First grade students may come to school in bright colored shirts and sunglasses on Thursday.
- Homework: This will be the LAST HOMEWORK PACKET of the year! Thank you so much for supporting your child on all 24 packets and continuing their learning from school to home. We appreciate all your time and effort!
- Summer Learning Program 2015: Below is a link to the Grosse Pointe Public Schools Summer School options. Visit this website to if you would like to browse the course offerings. http://gpschools.schoolwires.net/Domain/173