5 Tips to Maintain Good Eye Health
YOUR EYES are precious and provide an extremely important sense of sight. The sight needs to be protected. We spoke to leading eye specialists, and have compiled a list of 5 tips for maintaining good eye health.
1. Eat eye friendly food
Food plays a great role in maintaining eye health. Some specific nutrients, such as Omega-3 fatty acids, lutein, zinc, and vitamin C might ward-off age-related eye diseases such as cataract and macular degeneration.
Here is a list of food you can include more often in your daily diet:
- Green, leafy vegetables such as spinach and coriander
- Nuts, particularly walnuts
- Oranges, Amla, and other citrus fruits or juices
- Salmon and tuna fish
2. Cut down on smoking
Smoking might lead to eye diseases such as cataracts, optic nerve damage, and macular degeneration. If you've tried multiple times to quit smoking but failed, seek professional help.
3. Eyes friendly computer guidelines
Staring at a computer for too long isn't good for your eyes. If in your work, you cannot help but spend hours working in front of the computer you should practice the below tips to reduce stress on your eyes.
- Every 20-25 minutes, look away from the computer screen to some objects at 20 feet distance for 20 seconds. And after every 2 hours, get up from the chair and take a walk for 10-15 minutes.
- Position your computer in a way that your eyes are level with the top of the computer screen and you focus at a point slightly below your eye level.
- Sit on a comfortable, supportive chair. Position it in such a way that your feet are flat on the floor.
- Keep some water in a bowl around the room to keep it humid.
4. The sunglasses effect
Quality sunglasses protect your eyes from the sun's ultraviolet (UV) rays. Excessive exposure to UV rays might lead to cataracts and macular degeneration in your eyes. When shopping for sunglasses, prefer those which can block up to 99% to 100% of UVA and UVB rays.
5. See your doctor regularly
Most of us tend to assume that we should visit our eye doctor when something is clearly not right with our eyes. The truth is we should visit our eye doctors regularly. The eye exams can help spot some silent eye diseases, such as glaucoma, before they cause irreversible damage and vision loss.
Many eye diseases can be treated with medications; however, for some diseases, your doctor may recommend a surgical eye care treatment in India. It is to be noted that surgical eye care treatment in India has become a common choice for many. Most surgical procedure including cataract surgery have very high success rates.
We're done with the tips. In our forthcoming articles, we'll discuss the retinal diseases treatment and the best places for the surgical eye care treatment in India.
Don't take your eyes for granted. They're precious and need to be taken care of. Practice the suggestions shared in this article on eye care. For information on retinal diseases and treatment and corneal diseases please read our other articles.