Ways Ozone Depletion Can Be Reduced
By: Christopher Torikoglu (211521929)
Image credit: http://image.slidesharecdn.com/measurestoreduceozo...
Appliances that are energy efficient.
• Reduce use of hot water.
• Use unleaded gasoline.
• Use an air conditioner that does not use chlorofluorocarbons.
• Use a refrigerator that does not use chlorofluorocarbons.
• Avoid using halon fire extinguishers.
• Take advantage of carpooling, public transportation and using a bicycle as a means of transportation.
• Use ecofriendly cleaning products.
Using CFC (chlorofluorocarbons) free products will reduce ozone layer depletion.
• Avoid using products that have CFC, haloalkanes, carbon tetrachloride (CCl4), methyl chloroform (CH3CCl3), and hydrocholorofluotocarbons (HCFCs) (Lew 2013).
Products that contain these ‘ingredients’ are:
• Fire extinguishers
• Aerosol spray
• Cleaning products
Fire extinguishers you should use
A carbon dioxide extinguisher and a foam extinguisher, NOT an haloalkane extinguisher (Lew, 2013).
Image credits: http://www.fireprotectiononline.co.uk/images/D/co2...
LOOK FOR THE CFC FREE LOGO! USE THIS PRODUCT!
Political action to help reduce ozone depletion
Lew, Kristi. The Hole in the Ozone Layer and Your Skin. 1st ed. New York: Rosen Group, 2013. Print
Think Green Global Warming. Greenwood, Western Australia: R.I.C Publications, 2010. Print