A dwarfism is occurs when an individual person or animal is short in stature resulting from a medical condition caused by slow growth. Dwarfism is sometimes defined as an adult height less than 4 feet 10 inches (58 in; 147 cm.). "Disproportionate dwarfism is characterized by one or more body parts being relatively large or small in comparison to those of an average-sized adult, with growth variations in specific areas being apparent."(Dwarfism Wikipedia) In cases of proportionate dwarfism the body appear normally proportionate, but it unusually small. . Causes of proportionate dwarfism include metabolic and hormonal disorders such as growth hormone deficiency.
The most common cause of dwarfism is a disorder called achondroplasia, which causes disproportionately short stature. This disorder usually results in the following:
- An average-size trunk
- Short arms and legs, with particularly short upper arms and upper legs
- Short fingers, often with a wide separation between the middle and ring fingers
- Limited mobility at the elbows
- A disproportionately large head, with a prominent forehead and a flattened bridge of the nose
- Progressive development of bowed legs
- Progressive development of swayed lower back
- An adult height around 4 feet (122 cm)
- At least 20 mutations in the FGFR3 gene have been identified in people with hypochondroplasia, another form of short-limbed dwarfism that is milder than achondroplasia. Many cases are caused by one of two specificFGFR3 gene mutations, both of which lead to the same change in theFGFR3 protein.
I choose this disease because i want to learn about dwarfism and plus how there lives are. No I don't know anybody with dwarfism.