Biography Project for Mrs. Hemry's 8th grade Language Arts class made by Katie B.
John Christopher Depp was born on June 9, 1963 in Owensboro, Kentucky and is still alive today.
Significant Events that Affected Johnny's Life.
- He was casted as Tom Hanson on the show 21 Jump Street
- Played Edward in Tim Burton's Edward Scissorhands
- Played Gilbert in the movie What's Eating Gilbert Grape, in 1993.
- Was arrested in 1994 for trashing a hotel room
Johnny was born the youngest of the four children of Betty and John senior. At the age of 12 his mother got a guitar. He would lock himself in his room and teach himself how too play. Then he started playing in garage bands. His parents got divorced when he was 15 and his mother remarried Robert Palmer(died in 2000), who Johnny called an inspiration to him. Up until he was a teenager, Johnny lived in over 20 different locations because his mother loved to move. In 1979, he dropped out of high school to be a musician, but after a week tried to return only to be refused and told to follow his dreams of music.
People who Influenced Johnny's Life
- Betty Sue Depp (Johnny's mother) - Bought Johnny his first guitar and encouraged him to pursue music.
- Tim Burton( Director) - Made movies Johnny loved to act in more than other movies.
- Nicolas Cage- Got Johnny his first acting job.
- Johnny was in a band called The Kids. They were a minor success.
- Johnny Depp's first movie was as Glen from Nightmare on Elm Street.
- Johnny was engaged four times, but was/is only married twice. His current wife is Amber Heard.
- In 2003 and 2009 he was nominated as Sexiest Man Alive.
- Was in the Guinness World Records as the highest paid actor, with earnings of $75 million, in 2012.
- Won the Screen Actors Guild Award for outstanding performance by a male actor in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse Of the Black Pearl.
- Is part of the top Ten actors of the decade
- In 2014 won the Peoples Choice Award for Favorite Movie Actor.
The Theme of Johnny's Life was...
Without knowing it, Johnny promoted the idea that if people see you a certain way you can change the way thy see you if you work hard enough. Either way you always have to work for what you want.
Johnny's words of advice and what he has taught me...
- "You need to keep moving forward and do what you have to do for you."
- “I think everybody's weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.”
- "Not all treasure is silver and gold."
- “If there's any message, it is ultimately that it's okay to be different; that it's good to be different, that we should question ourselves before we pass judgment on someone who looks different, behaves different, talks different, is a different color.”
Before reading the biography I never realized how much Johnny Depp has influenced me. He has been through a lot, but has always worked hard. I feel like I understood that and will incorporate that in my life. I hope I understood what Johnny wants us to understand.
"Alice in Wonderland: Tea Party." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 08 Mar. 2015.
"Captain Jack Sparrow - Legendary First Appearance Intro Scene (Pirates Of The Caribbean) Full HD." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 08 Mar. 2015.
"Edward Scissorhands (Christmas Past)." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 08 Mar. 2015.
"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Boat Ride HD." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 08 Mar. 2015.
"Benny and Joon Diner Scene." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 08 Mar. 2015.
"Johnny Depp Quotes." Johnny Depp Quotes (Author of Burton on Burton). N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Mar. 2015.
"Awards." IMDb. IMDb.com, n.d. Web. 08 Mar. 2015.
Doeden, Matt. Johnny Depp: Hollywood Rebel. Minneapolis, MN: Twenty-First Century, 2011. Print.