I. Use Present Simple or Present Continuous Tense
A Trekking Journal
November 12, 1997
Today (be)1 ________ the second day of my trek around Mount Annapurna. I am exhausted and my legs (shake)2 _______ ; I just hope I am able to complete the trek. My feet (kill, really)3 _________ me and my toes (bleed)4 _____ , but I (want, still) 5________ to continue. Nepal is a fascinating country, but I have a great deal to learn. Everything (be)6 ________ so different, and I (try) 7_______ to adapt to the new way of life here. I (learn) 8_______ a little bit of the language to make communication easier; unfortunately, I (learn, not)9 __________ foreign languages quickly. Although I (understand, not)10 ______ much yet, I believe that I (improve, gradually)11 ____________.
I (travel, currently)12 _________ with Liam, a student from Leeds University in England. He (be)13 ________ a nice guy, but impatient. He (walk, always)14 _________ ahead of me and (complain)15 _________ that I am too slow. I (do) 16_________ my best to keep up with him, but he is younger and stronger than I am. Maybe, I am just feeling sorry for myself because I am getting old.
Right now, Liam (sit)17 ________ with the owner of the inn. They (discuss)18 ___________ the differences between life in England and life in Nepal. I (know, not)19 __________ the real name of the owner, but everybody (call, just)20 ________ him Tam. Tam (speak)21 ___________ English very well and he (try) 22___________ to teach Liam some words in Nepali. Every time Tam (say)23 __________ a new word, Liam (try)24 _________ to repeat it. Unfortunately, Liam (seem, also)25 _________ to have difficulty learning foreign languages. I just hope we don't get lost and have to ask for directions.
II. Use Past Simple
1. While I was away on holiday, my sister (fall) ______ ill and I had to come home.
2. By the time we reached Frankfurt I (already/be) _______ very tired of driving.
3. There was a terrible atmosphere in the room. They (have) _____________ an argument just before I came.
4. She (be) _________ a teacher before she became a journalist.
5. I gave my friend directions to my house, but later realized that I (forgot) ________ to give her the exact address.
6. I got to work this morning and was angry when I saw that no one (arrive) _________ yet.
7. He awoke thinking he was in a prison and that he'd been arrested for robbery. He then realised that it (all/be) _______ just a bad dream.
8. Michael had a black eye. It looked as if he (be) _________ in a fight.
III. Use Past Simple
1. Last year I (spend) ______ my holiday in Ireland.
2. It (be) ________ great.
3. I (travel) _______ around by car with two friends and we (visit) _______ lots of interesting places.
4. In the evenings we usually (go) _________ to a pub.
5. One night we even (learn) ________ some Irish dances.
6. We (be) ________ very lucky with the weather.
7. It (not / rain) ________ a lot.
8. But we (see) _______ some beautiful rainbows.
9. Where (spend / you) _______ your last holiday?
IV. Use Past Simple or Past Continuous
1. What ________ she __________ (wear) when you _________ (see) her? Her favourite top, I think.
2. They _________ (get) up early that morning so they __________ (go) for a swim.
3. We ________ (find) the keys we _______ (look) for yesterday.
4. The car _________ (crash) against the wall and a lot of people __________ (come) round.
5. __________ it _________ (rain) when you left for school? Yes, it ________ quite heavily.
6. It _______ (be) a quiet morning: the birds _________ (sing) in the trees and the cows_______.(eat) We _________ (walk) happily when a terrible storm _________ (start) 100 ms away from us. The wind __________ (blow)a big tree down and a black cloud _________ (appear) in the sky.
7. We __________ (can) hear you because we __________ (sing) in the music classroom.
8. The police ____________ (discover) that a criminal gang __________ (buy) luxury cars with stolen credit cards and __________ (organize) an incredible operation to stop them.