Texan Math News
December 2014 Edition
"TEAM WORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK"
Whew! First semester is almost over and boy have we been busy! Let's push through to the end in SUCCESS!
Check out some of the snapshots I've captured of y'all in action! (Always armed with my camera :-))
12/8 - Math PAP Vertical Teaming at Davila Middle School 4:30 - 6:30
12/10 - DMS Christmas Party
12/11 - DMS Spelling Bee during 1st period in the "Texan Room"
12/16-12/19 FINAL EXAMS (See Final Exam Schedule Below)
December 22 - January 2
Lesson plan submission dates have been REVISED. See below for submission dates for 4th six weeks. (The highlighted portion is what will be reviewed NEXT FRIDAY.)
Lesson plans for the following weeks should already be in Eduphoria:
- December 1-December 5
- December 8-December 12
- December 15-December 19
Lesson Plan Expectations:
What NON-NEGOTIABLES are to be in EVERY lesson plan?
- Content ("I Can") AND Language Objectives ("I Will")
- ACE Strategies
- Key Questioning
- Academic Vocabulary
**If feedback was given, the plans in the Individual Planner are to reflect any modifications/changes recommended. **
Lesson plans are to uploaded into your "Individual Planner" in Eduphoria the Wednesday PRIOR to the week the lessons will be taught.
Here's what we've covered so far in our RTI intervention time:
6th Grade: Fraction/Decimal Conversions, +/- Fractions and Mixed Numbers, Order of Operations, Prime Factorization
7th Grade: Fraction/Decimal/Percent Conversions, Similar Figures, Proportional Reasoning, Percent Applications
8th grade: Scale Factors, Similar Figures, Pythagorean Theorem
Teachers should be adding at least 5 new vocabulary terms EVERY week, and should be referencing them throughout the lesson.
- It is a CAMPUS & DISTRICT EXPECTATION for Word Walls to be UP and UPDATED in all classrooms.
- Word Walls should be cumulative of concepts/units previously taught and being taught currently.
- Vocabulary included on the word walls should be referred to daily, throughout your lesson(s).
Strategies for Teaching Academic Vocabulary (covered in PLC)
- Word Wall Centers (Spin-A-Word)
- Paraphrasing Pyramid
- Compare-Contrast using Venn Diagram
Upcoming PLC Dates
12/11: PLC "Academic Vocabulary"
- Bring 15 samples of student work showing their knowledge of academic vocabulary
12/18: NO PLC