Arts, Audio-Video Technology and Communications
Designing, producing, exhibiting, performing, writing and publishing multimedia content, including visual and performing arts and design, journalism and entertainment services.
Most observers expect the job growth rate within AV industries to be at 21 to 35 percent for the foreseeable future. In just the AV systems technician field, the industry can expect to add 21,000 jobs annually.
Plays parts in stage, television, radio, video, motion picture productions, or other settings for entertainment, information, or instruction. Interprets serious or comic role by speech, gesture, and body movement to entertain or inform audience. May dance and sing.
- Portrays and interprets roles using speech, gestures, and body movements.
- Works closely with directors, playwrights and other actors to find the interpretation most suited to the role.
- Prepares and performs action stunts for motion picture, television or stage productions.
- Attends auditions and casting calls to audition for roles.
- Collaborates with other actors as part of an ensemble.
- Learns about characters and their relationships to each other to develop role interpretations.
- Dresses in costume and make-up to perform comedy routines.
- Reads the script to learn lines and cues and plan stunts.
- Reads from a script or book to narrate action to entertain an audience.
- Sings or dances during a dramatic or comedic performance.
JUST THE FACTS
Dances alone, with a partner, or with a group to entertain audiences. May perform in ballets, musical comedy shows, modern dance concerts, opera, music videos, television productions, movies, commercials, or other types of performances.
A person in this career:
- Synchronizes body movements to the rhythm of musical accompaniment.
- Studies and practices dance moves required in a production.
- Coordinates dancing with that of a partner or dance ensemble.
- Works with a choreographer to refine and modify dance steps.
- Devises and choreographs dance routines for self or others.
- Auditions for parts in a production.
- Trains, exercises and attends dance classes.
- Performs in productions, singing or acting if required.
- Performs classical, modern or acrobatic dances in productions.
- Attends costume fittings, photography sessions and makeup calls associated with dance performances.