8 Things You Didn't Know About Semi Trucks
Truck is a type of vehicle used for transporting passengers and all kinds of bulky and heavy cargo. Trucks can be seen on almost any road, hauling long loaded trailers. There are many different truck-trailer combinations, but semi-trailer trucks are a real stand-out in terms of strength and versatility. Semi-trailer trucks are also known as 18-wheelers, semi-trucks and big rigs, as they are generally long over 16 meters. These large transportation vehicles are widely used for carrying freight, especially in Australia. Semi trailers attached on rigid towing vehicles are the best and most powerful combination of truck, as well as one of the longest. Before you start looking semi trailers for sale to attach on your truck, here are few things you must know about semi-trailer trucks.
- Semi-trailer trucks have a terrifying towing capacity, as they are up to 30 times heavier than cars. Cars and semi trailers for sale are commonly compared in terms of strength, but these trucks are over one hundred times heavier than cars, which also means more powerful.
- When it comes to length, semi-trailer trucks are longer than most truck-trailer combinations, varying up to 25 meters along with the cab.
- While typical vehicles are able to stop (break) quickly, semi-trailer trucks need more distance and time. The average breaking time of these truck combinations is about 40% more than the cars do, which means that truck drivers need to have a specific set of improved driving skills.
- The record for the world's longest road train has been set in Australia, with the heaviest and largest semi-trailer truck – Mack Titan. The Australian enormous Mack Titan used 112 semi trailers, which were 1.474 meters long.
- Despite being extensively used for transportation of various freights, semi trailers for sale are mostly designed and used for transporting building and agricultural materials.
- The great towing capacity comes at a price – semi-trailer trucks consume 20+ times more fuel than cars. These oil beasts require big amounts of fuel to work hard.
- Semi trailers for sale come with engines that last longer than any other type of truck and vehicle. Their engines have a life expectancy of one million kilometers. In terms of capacity, the semi trucks' engines range up to 1000 horsepower.
- The link between trucks and semi trailers is called a fifth wheel. This same term was previously used for a similar hauling concept of 4-wheel horse drawn wagons and carriages. As this link is positioned on the truck's rear frame and trucks have only four wheels, it earned the name a fifth wheel.