Year 9 Full Time & Fast Track:
Time For a Change
Starter Activity: Think - Pair - Share
Look at the pictures and discuss the questions below with a partner.
- What kinds of changes do these pictures suggest?
- How would you feel about them? (Or how have you felt about them?)
- Can you think of an example of when a change in your life has been positive?
During the lesson you need to post some of your ideas on Today's Meet.
The question is:
Do you think younger people have different attitudes to change from older people?
You are going to hear a radio interview with Mary, a travel journalist.
Before listening - Say whether you think these statements are likely to be true or false.
- Mary went off on a long trip somewhere.
- Mary won the lottery before she went away.
- Mary has children who are still in school.
- Mary is married.
- Mary travelled alone.
- The whole family was arrested and spent a year in prison.
During the listening - Complete the Socrative quiz on what you hear.
Socrative: Room g20
- Choose two pictures from 1-4 above.
- Make notes (back of exercise book or iPad) on your ideas about the pictures.
- Think about the important life events they show and why they are important.
- Now move around the room talking to different partners.
- Explain what your two pictures show.
- Say how you think the pictures are linked (by the topic of change).
- Give your own opinion of those changes. Say how you would feel.
With a partner discuss these questions...
- How do you think the events in pictures 1-4 change our lives?
- What other important events change our lives?
- What event do you think has had the greatest effect on your life?
Let's review our discussion for the day.
Quickly read through the posts.
- Which do you agree with?
- Which do you disagree with?
Be ready to talk about your ideas.