Books are power!
How do you incorporate literacy in your classroom? In your schools? In your personal lives?
Enthusiasm about books
"What I am Currently Reading"
Understanding what's out there- nonfiction
Book that changed my life inscription - gift to freshmen from seniors
A Book a Day
- Have a classroom library - we'll talk about grants later in this conference
- Talk about books! Carry a book with you! PLEASE stop telling students you do not have time to read.
- Build in pleasure reading time in your schedule
- Start a class Goodreads account (https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/150952-mrs-klodor-english-class)
- Use social media in your favor - a Tackk, Instagram or Twitter page to share books
- Read aloud! Just because your students are older doesn't mean they don't like to be read to. Consider using high quality picture books to supplement your larger texts.
- Make suggestions to your students. If your student enjoys reading Night, consider recommending The Book Thief
- What about a big-read or other school-wide reading program?
- Include thoughtful writing activities
- Celebrate reading!