paper silhouette portraits
A personalized, creative way to gift and decorate.
- Printable photo of child's profile
- Cardstock or thicker paper
- Patterned scrapbooking paper
- Scissors or EXACT-O knif
- Glue or matting spray
- Photo mat (optional)
1. Snap a photo of your child's profile (the same can be done and/or repeated for all members of the family — including pets!).
2. Enlarge photo on computer to size of silhouette you'd like to use for project. For example: if you're creating an 8x10 portrait, make sure the silhouette is at least 6 inches wide. You'll want to leave room for the portrait and the patterns.
3. Print the photo on thicker, cardstock paper and use scissors or knife to cut out the silhouette.
4. Use silhouette cut-out to trace the shape onto patterned scrapbooking paper, and then use scissors or knife to carve out the final silhouette.
5. Mount silhouette on an 8x10 (or otherwise desired size) sheet of complementary scrapbooking paper pattern, using either glue or matting spray. Be careful not to let the silhouette bubble, crinkle or bulge. Rub flat.
6. Frame the portrait (matting optional).