McCright is a Trailblazer
Señor Joe McCright serves . . .
At Stowe Elementary School, McCright serves as
- Spanish teacher K-5th
- Building technology specialist
- Dean of Students 2012-14
- Building Leadership Team
- Building Safety Team
- Infinite Campus trainer
McCright serves a co-moderator of the LinkedIn Spanish Teacher group.
McCright contributes to the Schoology Blended Learning group
Señor Joe McCright has studied. . .
- Marshalltown High School, Marshalltown, IA
- Marshalltown Community College, Marshalltown, IA (Associate of Arts)
- School for International Training, Brattleboro, VT (Bachelor of Arts)
- University of Cincinnati – College of Law (Juris Doctor)
- Peace Corps pre-service training (teaching methods, cross-cultural awareness, French) - Central African Republic
- Peace Corps Training of Trainers - Central African Republic
- civil and criminal mediation training - Cincinnati, OH
- advanced mediation training - Baton Rouge, LA
- Louisiana College, Pineville, LA (teacher practitioner/licensure)
- International Baccalaureate Level 2 training
- Responsive Classroom Level 2 training
- additional graduate work
- started piano lessons January 2014 and played a duet with his daughter.
Señor Joe McCright works . . .
(click links to see examples)
- Tackk.com (100+ websites with more than 35,000 visits) https://tackk.com/@mccright/public
https://tackk.com/stowestories1 (Students telling stories in Spanish; McCright captured video with Capture)
- Weebly.com Spanish at Stowe (more than 24,000 visits in last 12 months) http://spanishatstowe.weebly.com/
- Promethean Flipchart and Smart Notebook software
- Quizlet.com http://quizlet.com/53188856/vocales-y-consonantes-3a-i-flash-cards/
- CLEAR (more than 100 mash-ups) examples:
- Voki http://clear.msu.edu/mashups/11206
- Purpose games http://www.purposegames.com/game/10-colores-game
- Screenr.com https://www.screenr.com/TzgN
- Screencast-o-matic - vodcasts
- Capture (iPad and iPhone app that uploads directly to Youtube)
- Tiny Tap (iPad) http://www.tinytap.it/games/g6tr/multiplicacion-si-se-puede
- Haiku Deck (iPad) https://www.haikudeck.com/comida---neuhaus-2014-education-presentation-bEJBvKiZZL
- oSnap! (iPad)
- Kahoot https://create.kahoot.it/#login
- Skitch (image annotator from Evernote)
- Dropbox cloud storage
- Prezi http://prezi.com/c6nsey2s2udh/26-things-about-me/
- Google Tools (Drive, Docs, Forms, Presentations)
- Cam Scanner (PDF creator on iPhone)
Señor Joe McCright can grow . . .
I want to find a better way to direct Spanish classes via the computer. spanishatstowe.weebly.com has served as a good way to get students started elearning. I want to improve my directions and how I provide different ways to learn material, i.e., differentiate lessons There must be a way to get them engaged faster. That is what I want to explore and then train my colleagues to do the same.
Señor Joe McCright can fail . . .
When I started using computers to supplement Stowe students' Spanish instruction he assumed that they would know
- how to accurately type the name of websites,
- where the symbols on the keyboard are
- how to send email
- recognize links on webpages
- navigate between multiple tabs in an internet browser.
About one-third of the students were able to log on and get to the website immediately. The other two thirds got frustrated. Some quit. Some started disrupting other students.
To solve this problem I stopped teaching Spanish and started teaching basic computer skills. I paired students who knew how to do tasks with those who did not. I started modeling - using a projector and examples - and students performed seemingly simple tasks such as getting to websites, clicking on links, and closing tabs.
Señor Joe McCright
- Nominee for ISEA Excellence in Education
- Nominee for Rotary Elementary Teacher of the Year