Cerebral Palsy (CP) is a group of chronic conditions that affect the body movement and muscle coordination. It is caused by damage to one or more specific areas of the brain.
- Involuntary muscle contraction
- Too stiff
- Difficulty with speech
Child may be diagnosed soon after birth, or diagnosis can be made in the first two years. Child shows symptoms before the age of 3.
Unspecified Neurodevelopmental Disorder
- Failure to reach expected developmental milestones for walking and speech
- Inability to interact appropriately with peers
- Poor academic performance
- Overreaction to frustration compared to peers
- Emotionally labile in comparison to peers
- Physical therapy
- Devices and equipment (braces, casts, splints)
- Pain management
- Medicine to help control prevent complications
RJ Mitte has cerebral palsy according to the DSM V. He has difficulty with speech, not too severe, but noticeable. Mitte also exaggerates frustration compared to "normal" people. He has difficulty with walking as well, and used crutches when he was little and casts around his legs to straighten his legs to prevent him from being too stiff. He no longer uses crutches to walk around anymore.