Chapter 11 vocabulary
1.Cell- A small room in which a prisoner is locked up or in which a monk or nun sleeps.
2. Cell Membrane- the semipermeable membrane surrounding the cytoplasm of a cell.
3. Cell wall-a rigid layer of polysaccharides lying outside the plasma membrane of the cells of plants, fungi, and bacteria. In the algae and higher plants, it consists mainly of cellulose.
4.organelle- any of a number of organized or specialized structures within a living cell.
5.Tissue- any of the distinct types of material of which animals or plants are made, consisting of specialized cells and their products.
6.Organ- any of a number of organized or specialized structures within a living cell.
7.Unicellular-of an evolutionary or developmental stage, characterized by the formation or presence of a single cell or cells.
8.Multicellular- of an organism or part, having or consisting of many cells.
9.Autotroph- an organism that is able to form nutritional organic substances from simple inorganic substances such as carbon dioxide.
10. Heterotroph- an organism deriving its nutritional requirements from complex organic substances.
11. Prokaryotic - is a single-celled organism that lacks a membrane-bound nucleus (karyon), mitochondria, or any other membrane-bound organelles.
12. Eukaryotic - A eukaryote is any organism whose cells contain a nucleus and other organelles enclosed within membranes. Eukaryotes belong to the taxon Eukarya or Eukaryota.