Chapter 13, Section 4
Sub-section heading: A New Physics
- Key point: Mechanical Universe disproved.
- Key point: Atoms found to be more than small material bodies.
- Key point: Marie Curie discovered that radium gave off radiation.
- Key point: Einstein says time and space are directly connected to matter.
Sub-section heading: Freud and Psychoanalysis
- Key point: Freud believes that behaviours are shaped by previous happenstances.
- Key point: Psychoanalysis created. (It’s fun to psychoanalyize people who are supposed to psychoanalize you.)
- Key point: Freud discovered unconsciousness.
- Key point: Freud’s ideas gained acceptance after 1920.
Sub-section heading: Social Darwinism and Racism
- Key point: People misrepresent scientific theories inappropriately.
- Key point: Herbert Spencer says that the rich and poor are the fit and unfit.
- Key point: Some thought that the aryan race was the ‘master race’ and blamed the jewish for wanting to destroy them.
Sub-section heading: Anti-Semitism and Zionism
- Key point: Anti-semitism is not new.
- Key point: Anti-semitic slogans during Dreyfus’s trial.
- Key point: Government refuses to have a new trial.
- Key point: Pogroms carried out towards Russian Jews.
Sub-section heading: Literature and Painting
- Key point: Symbolists started art revolution
- Key point: Why draw or paint something realistically when there is a camera?
- Key point: Art now more focused on artistic things.
- Key point: Poems and Freudian things now written about.
Sub-section heading: Architecture
- Key point: Functionalism rises.
- Key point: U.S. is leading in Functionalism.
- Key point: Concrete, Steel, and electric elevator used to build skyscraper.
- Psychoanalysis - A series of theories popularized by Sigmund Freud.
- Pogrom - An organized slaughter of Russian Jews.
- Modernism - Art made by people who felt that the older styles were outdated.
- New ideas in physics and psychology.
- People hated the Jewish.
- New Ideas bout Physics changed science.
- New ideas about art and architecture.