To many bones By: Shelby Jones
1. They are an ungulate mammal which means "hooved" animal.
2. They evolved from a small multi-toed creature to the horse we know today over the last 50 million years .
3. Horses were first domesticated around 4500 BC .
4. Horses are prey animals who rely on speed to escape from predators .
5. They are also herd animals who rely on safety in numbers and require social interaction with each other .
6. There are over 300 different breeds of horses .
Facts about horse feet:
Your horses feet have several functions;
1. Supporting your horses weight
2. Absorbing shock
3. Resisting wear
4. Providing traction
5. Pumping blood
6. Conducting moisture
Your horses hoof wall is approximately 25% water, the sole 33% and the frog 50%.
Horses have 205 bones in there whole body.
A horse will drink 5-10 gallons of water per day on normal days and more when it is hot.
Veterinarians recommend that horses have 65-90 percent of their diet in good quality hay, with the balance consisting of grain.