Water, Water Everywhere
Lyric Dew & Tyq'uesha Ford-Moore
7 Essential Functions of Water
- Water helps you perform better during exercise: You feel stronger and can work out longer and more effectively
- Protects body organs and tissues: increases the efficiency of the immune system in the bone marrow, including against cancer
- Helps prevent constipation: water helps improve the digestive and bowel function to help reduce the risk of colon cancer and high cholesterol.
- Regulates body temperature: cools the body through sweat and heat the body electrically.
- Lubricates joints: the water helps prevent arthritis and back pain.
- Lessens the burden on the kidneys and liver by flushing out waste products: cleaning water toxin waste from different parts of the body and took it to the liver and kidneys to be releases
- Carries nutrients and oxygen to cells: the water helps increase the efficiency of red blood cells capture oxygen in the lungs
Average Percentage of Water in the Body?
- Up to 60% of body weight comes from water
- In adult men, about 60% of their bodies are water
- In adult women, about 55% of their bodies are water
- Babies have to most, being born at about 78% water
- Men have the highest percentage of water in their bodies, because fat makes up more of the woman body than man
Percentage of Water in the Organs?
- The brain and the heart are composed of 73% water
- The lungs are about 83% water
- The muscle and kidneys are 79% water
- On average an adult male needs about 3 liters of water per day
- On average an adult female needs 2.2 liters per day
- water has the highest heat capacity of all liquids
- when heat is absorbed, hydrogen bonds are broken and water molecules can move freely
- when the temperature of water decreases, hydrogen bonds are released and release a considerable amount of energy
- transporting heat from warm places to cool places helps the body to maintain an even temperature
How long can we survive without water?
- water is the most non-negotiable nutrient
- The maximum time an individual can go without water seems to be a week
Water and Body Fat
- Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids, mostly water, exceeds the amount that is taken in.
- Its symptoms include: increased thirst, dry mouth, weakness, dizziness, fainting, inability to sweat, and many more
- Dehydration can cause seizures, confusion, headaches, fainting, and chest and abdominal pains