If + Present Simple + Present Simple
- If people eat too much, they get fat.
- If you touch a fire, you get burned.
- If babies are hungry, they cry
- If you exercise, you do not gain weight.
- If I go to bed late, I wake up late.
If + Present Simple, + will + infinitive
- If it rains, I won't go to the park.
- If I study today, I'll go to the party tonight.
- If I have enough money, I'll buy some new shoes.
- If I see her, I'll tell her.
- If you drink too much, you'll get drunk.
If + Past Simple, + would + infinitive
- If we were in London today, we would be able to go to the concert in Hyde Park.
- If I had millions dollars, I'd give a lot to charity.
- If there were no hungry people in this world, it would be a much better place.
- If everyone had clean water to drink, there would be a lot less disease.
- If I went to China, I'd visit the Great Wall.
If + Past Perfect, + would + have + past participle
- If I had worked harder at school, I would have got better grades.
- If I had had time, I would have gone to see him. But I didn't have time.
- If we had bought that house, we would have had to rebuild the kitchen.
- If we had caught the earlier train, we would have got there on time but we were late.
- If I had paid more attention in class, I would have understood the lesson.