U.S. Rise To World Power Timeline
The Spanish-American War
- 1895 - Cuban revolutionary are revolting against spanish rules
- April 24,1898 - USS Maine was attacked and blew up. Spain declared war on U.S. Spanish American war begins !
- July 1898 - Roosevelt led the Rough rides against Spanish army in the Battle of San Juan Hill .
- May 1898 - Manila Harbor the U.S. Navy attacked the Spanish near the Philippines .
- August 1898 - The Spanish American War Ends ! U.S. gains Puerto Rico , Guam & Philippines and becomes World Power.
Chinese Exclusion Act
The Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 (May 6) was the first significant law restricting immigration into the United States. Those on the West Coast were especially prone to attribute declining wages and economic ills on the despised Chinese workers. Although the Chinese composed only .002 percent of the nation’s population, Congress passed the exclusion act to placate worker demands and assuage prevalent concerns about maintaining white “racial purity.” It was renewed in 1892 and made permanent in 1902.
Klondike Gold Rush
Around 100,000 prospectors tried getting rich mining for gold and raw materials. It was at the Klondike region of the Yukon in north-western Canada, Alaska . The Klondike Gold Rush also called the Yukon Gold Rush, the Alaska Gold Rush, the Alaska-Yukon Gold Rush, the Canadian Gold Rush, and the Last Great Gold Rush.
Open Door Policy
May 4, 1904 - August 15, 1914
- in 1881 France began to work on the Canal but had to stop because of engineering problems.
- The U.S. took over the project of the Panama Canal on May 4, 1904
- They finished the canal and Officially opened it August 15, 1914.
- The Panama Canal made trips faster for U.S. to get to the other side of the country without having to go around the whole country. (South America)
Pure Food and Drug Act
June 3, 1906
Federal inspection of the meat products , food products and poisonous patent medicines. To make sure nothing unusual was put in food and medicines. They also make sure animals are treated and feed right and aren't injected .
The diplomacy encouraged investment in Latin American countries to promote American foreign policy that would benefit America. The U.S. would lend money to other countries and when they couldn't re-pay the them. The U.S. would take over their rail roads , banks , plantations and etc. until the other countries repaid their loans , giving America more control and influence in Latin America.
Allows the government to collect an income tax from Americans without apportioning it among the states. Was passed in 1909 and ratified in 1913.
May 31, 1913
Senators are elected directly by the people instead of being chosen by state legislatures. Was adopted May 31, 1913.
Federal Reserve Act
The United States legislative created it to intended to establish a form of economic stability through the introduction of the Central Bank, which would be in charge of monetary policy, into the United States.
The United States Constitution ban the manufacture, sale, transport, import, or export of alcoholic beverages alcohol. Congress voted its approval October 1919 and enacted it into law as the National Prohibition Act of 1920.
World War 1 Begins
July 28, 1914 - November 11, 1918
The War against the allies and central powers. Allies : Great Britain , France , Italy , and soon the United States. Central Powers : Germany , Hungary and the Ottoman Empire.
February 15 , 1915
Germany claimed that any ship that entered the water around the British Isles were to be sunk. Germany considered it an official war zone called Unrestricted Submarine Warfare.
Sinking of Lusitania
May 7, 1915
British passenger ship was torpedoed and sunk by Germany submarine killing more than 1200 American people.
April 24, 1916
Germany did NOT want the U.S. to enter the war ( World War 1 ) So they made this promise saying they wouldn't any ship without warning them.
Failure of Diplomacy
February 3, 1917
Germany continues with Unrestricted Submarine Warfare. Germany's U Boats keep attacking the United States .
February 24, 1917
British's interfered with the Zimmerman Telegram that Germany was sending to Mexico's Government asking them to attack the United States in return they would reconquer the lost territory in Texas , New Mexico and Arizona.
United States Enters WW1 !!
April 6, 1917
United States decides to join the war and help the Allies Power (France , Great Britain Italy , Russia and Countries of Northern Africa) fight the Central Powers (Germany , Austria-Hungary , Bulgaria and Turkey
Selective Service Act
May 18, 1917
- The act required all men in the U.S. between the ages 21-30 to register for military service.
- The government is allowed to draft soldier. Within a few months , around 10 million men across the country had registered in response to the military draft.
June 15, 1917
U.S. federal law that prohibited the interference with military operation or recruitment , to prevent disobedience and the support of U.S. enemies. It was considered a crime during the war.
Battle of Argone
September 26, 1918
The Battle of Argonne Forest is also known as The Meuse Argonne Offensive and The Maas Argonne Offensive. The battle lasted 47 days , November 11, 1918. Was part of the final Allied offensive of WW1 that stretched along the entire Western Front.
Wilson's 14 Points
- January 1918 - The first outlined in a speech Wilson gave to the American Congress.
- November 1918 - Became the basis for a peace program and it was on the back of the 14 Points that Germany and her allies agreed to an armistice.
Treaty of Versailles
June 28, 1919
One the peace treaties to end WW1. Germany was blamed for starting the war and required to pay total World War 1 cost. Reparation payment was as high as $300 billion. Germany land was divide and distributed among the Allies. The Treaty was harsh on Germany.
November 11, 1918
End Of World War 1
The war is Finally Over !!