Identity Theft by: Chandler Green
Identity theft is a form of stealing someone's identity in which someone pretends to be someone else by assuming that person's identity, usually as a method to gain access to resources or obtain credit and other benefits in that person's name.
Ways to help prevent identity theft
- Strengthen your Digital security. Choose good passwords and pins.
- Staying alert when "out and about." Watch out for "shoulder surfers"
- At home security. shred any documents with identifying information on them.
- Freezing Credit as a Safety Precaution. Get a security freeze on your credit.
- If you're a victim, Act quickly. Do what you can to minimize the damage to your reputation and funds.
An approximate 10 million people are victims of identity theft every year. That translates to 19 new victims every minute of every day! And the trend of this is not slowing down. For those who are apart of this illegal activity are in a multi-million dollar company.
The only way to prevent it is to be smart and think about what your doing when you're shopping or just out. Be secure about your personal information. Never give it out to anyone. When shopping online, be sure to use a trusted website.