Preventing falls in the KITCHEN
- Keep commonly used items within easy reach. This limits having to stoop very low or reach up high. A long-handled reacher, with rubber grips, helps with out-of-reach items.
- A step stool is a necessary item for every kitchen. Choose a sturdy one, preferably with a hand rail. Resist the temptation to climb up on chairs or tables – they definitely aren’t designed for that purpose.
- Clean up spills immediately; they may cause you to slip and fall later if forgotten.
- Make sure all cords are up somewhere
- Keep drawers and cabinet doors closed when not in use.