VCR Vocabulary Set 5
By Bryson Getz
- Comes from the Latin root "littera" which means "letter"
- Obliterate means to do away with completely, wipe out, or to destroy.
- Various European diseases brought over by English settlers nearly obliterated the Native Americans, killing many by infection and leaving about a tenth of the original population.
-Comes from the Latin roots "scribo," "scribere," "scripsi," and "scriptum" which mean "to write."
-Ascribe means to attribute to a particular cause, source, or origin.
-Many of the paintings originally ascribed to Michelangelo have recently been found out to be the works of his unknown student and were not painted by Michelangelo at all.
-Comes from the Greek root "onoma" which means "name"
-A pseudonym is a fictitious name.
- Many female writers in the 1900s published their books under male pseudonyms because a book would do better if it appeared a man wrote it because books written by females were not respected.
- Comes from the Latin root "nomen" which means "name"
-A nomenclature is a system of naming especially in the arts and sciences.
- To understand the official nomenclature of the animal kingdom, one must first learn many of the Latin words used in creating the scientific names of the animals.