Event celebrates distribution of 40th print edition
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONWAY, Ark. - April 23, 2014 - The University of Central Arkansas’ literary magazine, The Vortex, held its annual launch party at The Locals on April 22 to celebrate the publication of its 40th print edition.
- The Vortex has collectively won 20 awards over the past 14 years. Among those won were ACMA 1st place for Magazine General Excellence and ACMA 2014 Magazine Editor of the Year. To see the full list of awards, visit http://www.thevortexmagazine.com/#!awards/cwjs.
- The Vortex has been UCA’s only literary magazine for the past 40 years. To view past editions online, visit http://www.thevortexmagazine.com/#!issues/ca1t.
- At The Vortex’s recent launch party, money was collected for Heifer International in memory of the late UCA professor, Dr. Joanna Castner-Post. Post was heavily involved the organization’s “Send A Girl to School” program. To make a donation, visit http://teamheifer.heifer.org/forjoanna.
- The Vortex publishes works of fiction, nonfiction, script, art, photography and poetry. To submit, visit http://www.thevortexmagazine.com/#!submit/cee5 and fill out the submission form.
- The Vortex hosts several reading events throughout the year at places such as The Locals and Branch Out in Conway. To view pictures from past events, visit The Vortex’s Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/vortexmagazine.
What people are saying about The Vortex 40th print edition:
- “The print edition is what we’ve been working toward all semester. Our baby has finally been born!” –Taylor Hicks, editor-in-chief of The Vortex
- “I am so incredibly proud of these students. This is the brightest bunch of students I’ve seen yet in all my years of teaching.” –Garry Craig Powell, faculty advisor
- When asked what was different about this edition of The Vortex, assistant editor Kayelin Roberts said, “The artwork for this edition is just stunning. Each year, we watch art submissions multiply, which is inspiring for the future of The Vortex because it’s not just writing anymore; The Vortex is growing and expanding.”
- When asked what the best part of the launch party was, Tre Sandlin said, “The food was amazing. There were cupcakes, wraps, veggies and dip…The Locals really knows how to throw a great party! It’s always fun to celebrate The Vortex.”
- Alex Dunn said, “The launch party is a fun opportunity to celebrate all the hard work that goes into this print edition all year. It’s a chance to eat some great food and hear some good stories.”
A Word From the Editor of The Vortex:
Taylor Hicks, editor of The Vortex, explains why it is so important for students involved in the creative arts at UCA to submit their work to the publication. "The Vortex provides great opportunities for students because it gives them a platform to showcase their work. Future employers will be so impressed that these students have already been published, multiple times for some, before graduating. It’s awesome just to be a part of the history we’re making tonight with the 40th print edition of The Vortex.”
Submit your work to The Vortex by logging on to our website at www.thevortexmagazine.com. We accept works of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, scriptwriting, art and photography.
Boilerplate: The Vortex is the University of Central Arkansas’ first and only literary magazine. The publication, which is produced both digitally and by print, publishes original student work to promote the arts at UCA. The Vortex’s mission is to induce, produce and communicate all kinds of creativity, as well as to provide UCA students with a venue to freely express and share their artistic work. For more information, please contact us by email at email@example.com, visit us online at www.thevortexmagazine.com and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.