Phosphorus can be found in the 5th group, and 3rd period on the periodic table.
Atomic Symbol: P
Melting Point: 44.15 degrees Celsius (111.47 degrees Fahrenheit)
Boiling Point: 280.5 degrees Celsius (536.9 degrees Fahrenheit)
Mass Number: 30.974
# of Protons: 15
# of Neutrons: 15.974
# of Electrons:15
Net Charge: Neutral (but -3)
Phosphorus is used in our everyday lives. For example, Phosphorus is used in fertilizers for plants and crop. Phosphorus is also used in the following.
- Incendiary devices
- Match strikers
- Production of steel
- Fine china
- Special Glass
- Smoke Bombs
- Tracer Bullets
- Phosphates in bones,nervous tissue
Phosphorus was discovered in 1669. It was discovered by a man named, Henning Brand. The element was named 'Phosphorus', after the Greek phrase, "Bringer of light"
- Waxy solid
- Takes fire in presence of air
- Reacts vigorously with Halogens to form Trihilidads
- Cant be found freely in nature
- when exposed to sunlight, WHITE phosphorus changes to RED phosphorus
- Catches fir in air (white)
- Discovered by Henning Brand by extracting buckets of urine!