The Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore
By: Jenna Phelan and Audrey McBride
The "Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore" is also known as the Duomo. It is one of the most popular sites to see in Florence. We are visiting the Duomo on our first full day in Florence. This site has no fee, and it will be a well days worth just to see it! We would like to visit this site mainly because of it's popularity, and because it's the main church of Florence! This site has been given 4.7 stars.
Fun Facts about the The Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore:
- It is the main church in all of Florence.
- The actual cathedral is located inside the dome.
- The Duomo was started in 1296 by Arnolfo di Cambio, with a gothic style.
- Later it was remodeled and finished completely in 1436 by Filippo Brunelleschi, who added the dome shape to it.
- It is the most popular attraction in Florence, and is a must-see!