Webquest: Stellaluna and Main Idea and Supporting Details
Stellaluna is an exciting adventure book about a young bat that has been separated from her mother. This storybook leads the reader through lessons on survival and friendship.
In this webquest, students will use the amazing story of Stellaluna to explore the elements of main idea and supporting details.
3rd grade English Language Arts and Reading
(8) Reading/Comprehension of Literary Text/Fiction. Students understand, make inferences and draw conclusions about the structure and elements of fiction and provide evidence from text to support their understanding. Students are expected to:
(A) sequence and summarize the plot's main events and explain their influence on future events;
ISTE Standards Students
5. Digital Citizenship
Students understand human, cultural, and societal issues related to technology and practice legal and ethical behavior.
b. Exhibit a positive attitude toward using technology that supports collaboration, learning, and productivity.
ISTE Standards Teachers
2. Design and develop digital age learning experiences and assessments
Teachers design, develop, and evaluate authentic learning experiences and assessments incorporating contemporary tools and resources to maximize context and to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes identified in the Standards. S.
a. Design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity.
1.Inquire, think critically, and gain knowledge
1.1.6 Read, view, and listen for information presented in any format (e.g., textual, visual, media, digital) in order to make inferences and gather meaning.
Students will identify both the main idea and the supporting details in a text.
Students will understand strategies for determining the main idea of a passage.
Students will use main idea and supporting details to understand both fiction (Stellaluna) and nonfiction (bats) texts.
Students will use websites to further understand and practice main idea.
The Main Idea Song
The following links are also helpful if you want to practice finding the main idea:
- We will watch the video of Pamela Reed reading Stellaluna.
- Your teacher will introduce what is a main idea to you.
- You will gather evidence from what you heard about the book and using your own words, you will write the main idea of the book.
- Your teacher will check for understanding asking, how did you reach this conclusion about the main idea?
- Your group will now read a National Geographic book on bats, and using the handouts provided by the teacher, you will proceed to follow the same procedure as with Stellaluna. You will help each other write the main idea of the non-fiction book about bats and give supporting details.
Your teacher will distribute to you the following handout (s) to help organize their thoughts when writing their main idea.
If you click the rubric button below, you will see the points you will earn for identifying the main idea and give supporting details.
Congratulations! You have completed the Stellaluna Main Idea and Supporting Details webquest. You have done an awesome job!
You are now able to summarize key details, find supporting details, and analyze what these details have in common to determine the main idea.
Did you love Stellaluna? Are you interested in learning more about bats? Check out these websites for more information:
C Nivin, S Padilla and O Porras