- The endocrine system is a chemical communication system that controls many body functions.
- Your endocrine system is responsible for the fast growth you experience during you teen years
- The endocrine system is made up of glands located throughout the body.
Male Reproductive System
- During puberty, the testes produce testosterone and sperm.;
- Injuries to the testes can result in testicular cancer.
- Hernia is a sexually transmitted disease that happens when an internal organ pushes against or through a surrounding cavity wall.
Female Reproductive System
- New life is formed through the process of fertilization.
- The female reproductive system stores egg cells, creates offspring, and gives birth.
- The embryo becomes a fetus in about eight weeks.
- During puberty, the egg cells mature and are released by the ovaries in a process called ovulation.
- If an egg is not fertilized, the uterus lining breaks down and is shed by the body through menstruation.
- Menstruation usually lasts from 5 to 7 days and happens about every 28 days.
Pregnancy and Labor
- A normal or full term pregnancy lasts 9 full months or 40 weeks.
- Women who drink alcohol during pregnancy may develop fetal alcohol syndrome.
- An ultrasound is a test that produces an image on a screen by reflecting sound waves off the body's outer structures.
- Most STD'S are spread only through sexual contact.
- You cannot tell if someone has an STD by his or her appearance.
- STD'S can cause birth defects of a child.
- HIV attacks T cells and replaces the genetic information of the T cells with its own genetic information.
- HIV is spread from person to person through contact with contact with sperm, fluid from the vagina, blood, and breast milk.
- Practice abstinence, avoid drugs and alcohol, and avoid sharing needles to prevent HIV/AIDS
- Avoid being alone on a date.
- The best way to avoid getting an STD is to abstain from sexual activity.
- Know how to respond to pressure.