By: Kaleesta Waysman Pd.4 Olympia
A democracy is ruled by the people.
Other forms of Government:
1. Monarchy is a form of government in which a King or Queen holds power until death and is transferred within the family.
2. Dictatorship is a form of government controlled by one person, who has ultimate power.
3. Oligarchy is a form of government in which a few people have all the power.
4. Theocracy is a form of government in which God or a deity is recognized as the supreme ruler.
5. Anarchy has no form of government to enforce law.
Process of Democracy:
1. Voting is the tool in which a democracy is carried out.
2. Direct Democracy is when everyone who qualifies votes on all the issues all the time.
3. Representative Democracy is when the people select a 'representative' to go and vote for them at times of voting on issues.
4. Electoral College is the system in America that is used to elect the president of the United States. Each state has 'electoral' votes that go to which ever candidate gets the most votes in that state.
Rule by the People:
1. The governor of South Dakota is Dennis Daugaard.
2. The senators of South Dakota are Mike Rounds and John Thune.
3. The representative of South Dakota is Kristi Noem.
4. The president of the United States is Barack Obama.
5. The vice president of the United States is Joe Biden.
The system of Checks and Balances is when no one part of government can get out of control with too much power.
1. The Legislative Branch is congress which is made up of Senators and Representatives from each state.
2. The Executive Branch is the President, the Vice President and the President's cabinet.
3. The Judicial Branch is the Supreme Court. They decide if laws are constitutional.
1. Democrat is more liberal and wants larger government.
2. Republican is more conservative and wants smaller government.