School Age 5-9
- Kids learn to read gradually. Children who are read to aloud and are encouraged to read tend to develop more quickly intellectually.
- Engaging the bodies as well as the minds of children this age will help them learn.
- Children develop skills that will help them as they enter school and begin writing.
- Most can:
- Use safety scissors
- Cut on a line continuously
- Copy squares and crosses
- Print a few capital letters
- Children this age become more adept at relationships, but they also may have many conflicts with their peers.
- Many children are competitive, and can become argumentative and quarrelsome when they lose.
- Children tend to have their feelings easily hurt. They also tend to assume that people who hurt them “did it on purpose.” Help your child not feel victimized or always jump to acting on revenge.