Dolphin Digest - November 3, 2014
7 Habits Review
The video below is an overview of the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. As you know, our school is a certified Leader in Me school. That means that we provide students with powerful leadership practice and opportunities for personal and academic growth. This is based on Steven Covey's 7 Habits. We take student achievement very seriously; as we help students reach their full academic potential, we build character and perseverance. Below is a more sophisticated version of the 7 Habits. Although, the presentation may be somewhat advanced, don't be fooled. Our students are becoming just as well-versed in the habits.
The following infographic is designed to remind us all how to stay healthy be being proactive.
Title I Update
Parent Involvement month is a time to celebrate the important role parents play in their children's education. When schools work together with families to support learning, children are inclined to succeed not just in school, but throughout life. The Florida Department of Education, our district and your child’s school recognizes the vital roles that schools and families play throughout a child's educational career.
Ideas for Family Fun in November
1. Have a movie night. Check out the public library for free movies. Pop some popcorn!
2. Listen! It’s the #1 thing a parent can do to support their child.
3. Make it a habit to review and discuss homework regularly.
4. Donate canned goods to help other families in your school or community.
5. Sneak a note into your child’s school bag reminding them of how proud you are.
6. Show school spirit! Attend a school sporting event with your child.
7. Flip through old family photo albums. Tell stories about what you see.
8. Compare tastes in music. Actually listen to what your child listens too.
9. Participate in your child’s favorite hobby.
10. THANKSGIVING DAY – Talk about things for which your family is grateful.
Check out this link to hear how parents stay involved with their children: Parent Involvement - Round Table with Commissioner Pam Stewart (5 minutes)
Title I schools are pleased to announce the availability of the ACCESS program to assist families. Computers have been set up at each school site for parent use. The parent liaisons have been trained to assist you if needed in accessing the program.
Automated Community Connection to Economic Self-Sufficiency
on-line application will direct families to the four main types of
assistance the Department of Children and Families is responsible for:
Food Assistance Program, Temporary Case Assistance, Medicaid Programs
and Refugee Assistance programs in the state of Florida.
Please remember the Department of Children and Families ACCESS program determines eligibility.
Attendance and Tardies
All students are expected to be in class by 7:50. We are aware that traffic can be difficult in the mornings. There is very little traffic until about 7:40 and almost none at 7:30. Remember that we have student supervision starting at 7:10.
We ask that if you drop your child off in the morning, that you pull all the way forward so we can unload several cars at a time. All students will enter the school through the doors at the front of the car line. We are doing everything we can to make the mornings efficient while maintaining the safest environment for students. Remember that no students are allowed to be dropped off in the parking lot, on Clara Avenue, or on Beth Avenue.
We are working hard to improve the average daily attendance. Students and classes are tracking the number of absences and tardies. Below is the school-wide data for August, September, and November.
Here are some highlights of events coming soon:
- October 31- Report Cards Sent Home
- November 7- Vocabulary Parade
- November 11- No School
- November 20- Thanksgiving Lunch (We invite you to come eat lunch with your child. Information will be going home this week so you can pre-order your meal.)
- November 24-28 - No School- Happy Thanksgiving
Click the button below to access our school calendar. (Did you know you can subscribe to the calendar and receive notification of the events on your phone or computer?) Once you are viewing our calendar, simply click the small Google Calendar icon in the bottom right corner of the calendar.