LEARNING MATH TALK....
• Revoicing - Teacher repeats some or all of what a student says and then asks the student to verify.
.• Asking students to restate someone else’s reasoning – “Can you repeat what he just said in your own words?”
• Asking students to apply their own reasoning to someone else’s reasoning –“Do you agree or disagree and why?
Whole Class Discussion - should NOT last more than 10/15 minutes.
• Teacher is a facilitator and guide.
• Teacher focuses on student thinking and ideas.
• Provides a space for students to practice so they become confident math thinkers.
• Teacher does not reject incorrect reasoning, but uses these mishaps as a way to discover
Math Talk.....Small-Group Discussion
• Teacher gives a question/problem for a group to discuss.
• Teacher circulates as groups discuss and doesn't control the discussions but observes and interjects.
• Teacher asks a question and then gives students a short time, perhaps a minute or two at the most, to put their thoughts into words with their nearest neighbor.
• Initiate by “Turn and talk about this with the person next to you”
More than Just Talk…
*Thanksgiving Lunch - Please make sure you sit at your assigned table.
*FSA...ELA component.....3rd grade does not have a text-based writing component. 5th grade MUST given time to practice taking skills online. 3rd-4th MUST be given opportunity to practice responding tot he different types of test items they will encounter on the paper-based test format.
*Please read the PowerPoint that was sent from Linda Pitts on Nov. 10th.
Please celebrate the great things you see/hear by using our Wall Wisher. The link is at the bottom of this TACKK. Last week we only had 6 celebrations.
Check this awesome STEM activity....Way to GO.....Mrs. Lark!!!
Monday: Kdg- 2nd Dance Practice; Chorus
Tuesday: MTSS Team B
Wednesday: LLT Mtg
Thursday: Thanksgiving Lunch
Friday: MTSS Team B; Leader of the Month
Monday, Dec. 1st: Kdg- 2nd Dance Practice; Chorus; Christmas Tree Lighting (Frank Brown)
Tuesday, Dec. 2nd: MTSS Team A
Wednesday, Dec. 3rd:
Thursday, Dec. 4th:
Friday, Dec. 5th: Winter Wonderland 5-7
Nov. 17th - Becki Reeder, 18th Brooke Clemmons, 25th Jeff Webb & Marcia Pitts
The essence of mathematics is not to make simple things complicated, but to make complicated things simple. S. Gudder