Discovered radioactivity and nuclear physics
- 1. He discovered alpha and beta rays, and identified alpha particles as helium nuclei.
- 2. Most important, he postulated the nuclear structure of the atom
- 3. He found that a screen coated with zinc sulfide emitted a flash of light each time it was hit by an particle.
- 4. Ernest Rutherford discovered the nucleus of the atom in 1911.
- 5. His work constituted a notable landmark in the history of atomic research.
- 1. Born on a farm in New Zealand, the fourth of 12 children.
- 2. Rutherford completed a degree at the University of New Zealand and began teaching unruly schoolboys.
- 3. He received the Nobel Prize in chemistry in 1908.
- 4. He had been named Langworthy Professor of Physics.