Biography Project for Mrs. Hemry's 8th grade Language Arts class
Made by KM
Derrick Rose was born on October 4, 1988 in Englewood, Chicago.
Significant Events in History that Affected Derrick Rose
- Breaking his arm as a kid.
- High school picking.
- College year and picking.
- NBA Draft
- Rookie year in Chicago.
As a child Derrick had no father but a mother and three brothers. He lived in a poor superb of Chicago, Englewood. In Englewood there was many gangs and shooting all around also with drugs exposed all over. Most schools around the area were on the poor and broken down side. Overall he had a pretty tough childhood.
People Who Influenced Derrick's Life
- Mom (Brenda)- singly raised him
- Allen- All three of his brothers Dwayne, Reggi, and Allen all older than him, pushed him to be the best basketball player as a kid and in school.
- Chris Douglas-Roberts- Helped him as a player in college and a student.
- Only had a mother and 3 brothers.
- He also strongly considered college offers from Indiana and Illinois before settling on Memphis.
- Derrick's grandmother nicknamed him "Pooh," because he looked like Winnie the Pooh . He has a tattoo that reads "The Great Poohdini."
- Childhood basketball hero was Micheal Jordan.
- He loves candy, but has improved his diet dramatically over the last year during his rehab.
- Derrick's agent is former Bulls guard B.J. Armstrong.
- Derrick traveled through Asia and Europe last year.
- He has a one year old son named P.J.
- State Champs in Elementary
- State champs in Junior High
- State champs in high school
- Number 1 pick in the draft
- Voted top Player as a Senior, Junior, Sophomore, and Freshman.
- Top Freshman and player in college
- NCAA basketball championship
- Rookie of the year
The theme of Derrick's life was...
To persuade that any age, weight height, and where your background was he said " it dosn't matter where you are from you can still make it, i mean look at me."
Derrick's words of advice and what he has taught me...
- When Derrick was kid Micheal Jordan told him that he has a great future, but that can all blow away if your famous catches up to you.
- Derrick's teammates back in Memphis told him"you cant be quiet your whole life if you want to be the best than act like the best."
- Derrick Rose told kids "For those kids who are from a poor area and have never seen a person who has made it big then look at me i know if I wasn't me I would look up to me and want to be like me."
I've always looked up to Derrick as a role model for basketball and now that I've shown what he can do and where he came from to get there just makes me like him even more than I do now. I hope to be like him when I grow up.