The Taxonomy of a Bottlenose Dolphin
What is Taxonomy?
Taxonomy- Classification of Organisms using genus and species. There are 7 levels Kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, and species.
Where the dolphins are found
Taxonomic Levels of a bottlenose Dolphin
- Kingdom: Animalia (Multi cellular and eukaryotic)
- Phylum: Chordata (vertebrates at some point)
- Class: Mammalia (Regulates body temperature)
- Order: Cetacea
- Family: Delphinidae
- Genus: Tursiops
- Species: truncatus
- Bottlenose Dolphins are usually found in tropical and temperate places.
- Most well known species of mammals
- They usually eat invertebrates, fish, and squid.
- Sometimes confuse other fish for dolphins
- You will almost always find them in groups of 2 or more.