A Career as an Accountant
Career Goal - Accountant
Accountants assemble, analyze and check accuracy of financial information.
Accountants may have to give financial advice to a newly wed or maybe a bachelor who wants a new sports car. They will need to document and record information. And they will need to be able to use a computer and solve problems.
Helpful High School Courses
Some courses that accountant may want to take in high school are accounting, computer applications, economics, and keyboarding.
Skills and Abilities
An accountant will need to be able to perform basic math and science. He/she will need to be able to manage their time. And he/she will need to have communication skills so when a client or future client walks in the door, they can communicate with them and figure out what the problem is.
An accountant will work in doors, more than likley in a cubicle. They may be required to work more than 50 hours a week, and they may need to travel a lot. Depending on where their clients are, or maybe where their business is located. Accountants are expected to achieve 100 percent accuracy in everything they do.
You will need a high school diploma or a GED, and at least a Bachelors degree in accounting which is fours years of college. Most businesses will require you to have a CPA liscence. Which is a certified public accountant. Which may require a fifth year of college and then a big test to get the liscence.
Career Wages and Outlook
Accountants are paid by the company. It is often considerd one of the most highest paid jobs in America. Sometimes an accountant will open his own firm. Then he is paid by the customer. I would guess probably by the hour. Whatever profit he/she has at the end of the month/year, you could say is his/her pay day.
Hourly Wage- $29.43
Salary Wage- $53,000
Hourly Wage- $32.63
Salary Wage- $55,000
The outlook in this job category is very high. Over the past couple of years 187,000 more jobs have been created and that number is just going to keep on climbing. The rate is at about 13%.
Some related occupations include auditors, tax examiners, financial examiners, financial managers, and financial counselors. All of these occupations probably don't need a CPA license.
Program of Study- Accounting
Some programs that accountants might have to take in college is accounting, taxation and financial forensics and fraud investigation. This specific class prepares people to work as an accountant.
I can began my college courses as an accountant when I begin college.
- Public Speaking
Typical Course Work
This major will include:
- Business Law Writing
- Cost Accounting
- Business Econ
- College Math
Schools that Offer my Program of Study
Minnesota State University
Univeristy of Minnesota Duluth
Minnesota State University- Mankato
- Size- About 13,000 undergraduate students
- Location- Mankato Minnesota
- Admission Requirements- MSU has a rolling deadline.Which just means that you can enroll before each semester. They require the ACT. They look at what your test cores are and your class rank.
- College Expenses- The tuition, room and board will cost about 7,558. The total budget is estimated at 14,563. The application Fee is 20.
- Financial Aid- The deadline for signing up for financial aid is March 15. You will be required to fill out the FAFSA and the SAR. Their are several scholarships available which include merits and merits based. And student employment.
- Housing- Both dorms and apartments are available on campus.
- Activities- There are several activities to do. It includes the radio station, drama, the newspaper, student government,basketball and baseball.
I got into contact with Mrs.Zabel. She works here at St.Clair High School as an accountant. You may read my packet if you wish to know more.
Plans to Reach my Goal
I plan to get a Bachelors Degree in Accounting. Then I need to get my CPA license. After I get that then I can get a job as an accountant pay off some dept, then hopefully go back to college and get a Masters degree in accounting. That way I can move up in hopefully a business.