Hannah, Kara, Lucy, Raven, Sara, & Sarah
The spread of ideas, organizational models, and material culture from a common Chinese center gave rise to three civilizations: Japan, Korea, and Vietnam.
- Chinese influence peaked in 7th & 8th centuries
- Aimed for Chinese-style bureaucracy and society
- Civil wars in 1400s reverted Japan to barbarism
- Chinese influenced declined
- Most Chinese influenced although distinct in forms of dress, cuisine, and social class system
- Sinification: extensive adaptation of Chinese culture: religion, government, architecture, etc.
- Conquered by Han dynasty but revolted to resist Chinese dominance
- Borrowed heavily from Chinese but preserved most features of society
- Won political independence in 939 although Chinese cultural influences continued