By: Jaleyah Robinson
a gang is an organization of two or more people who form an alliance for a common purpose; a gang who claims a territory in the community and engages individually or collectively in violence and other criminal activity.
- A gang is a group of people who claim a territory
- Gangs can be organized based upon race, ethnicity, territory, or money-making activities
- Gangs can be made to ages 8 to 22
- Members of gangs wear specific articles of clothing to be recognized as part of the group
- Gangs are one of the leading factors for growth of violent crimes both on and off school property
- When joining a gang, often times there is an initiation that needs to be passed
- Gang members are more likely to be arrested or involved with drugs and alcohol than non-gang members
- This initiation is usually a violent crime that could include theft, murder, gang-rape, or drive-by shootings.
Why Does Gang Violence Happen :
Some people grow up in gang families or they might find being in a gang to be cool or see a situation were they have to be in a gang . A lot of gang members are not able to get out of a gang . Once there in a gang they can't get out of one . These programs have homes so people will not know where they are . They have jobs so they can get money to move to a new house . Kids will be taken to different schools . Most people think being in a gang is safe . In a gang if you mess with one you have to mess with all of them .
What causes Gang Violence :
Broken homes or Poverty or violence at home . Many people do gangs so they can get there angry out . So people do it because that the way they were raised . So people are forced in to gangs . Many kids are forced in to gangs . Because they are young they are fall for things .
What are signs of gang violence :
A gang is a group or association of three or more persons who may have a common identifying sign, symbol, or name and who individually or collectively engage in, or have engaged in, criminal activity which creates an atmosphere of fear and intimidation.
Who tries to help gang violence:
Obama has made many programs for people in gangs so they can get out and start a new life . These programs help gang members get jobs and homes . This will help them get back on there feet .
Why does Obama help gang members : Because its a big problem and affected by gang violence . Many people loose family members to gang violence . These homes are made so people wont know people live there for the safety of the non gang members . People once your in a gang you can't get out unless your dead.
Why Is it important to know about gang violence :
So people can do more to stop it and help people they know who are in gangs or help with programs or can come up with more or better programs
- There are an estimated 31,000 gangs within the USA, with a membership of over 850,000.
- Gangs use various names to represent their gang that stand for something
- Gangs have a sign to represent their gang
- Today's gangs participate in a number or destructive and violent behaviors that target rival gangs and impact innocent bystanders
- People often assume gangs are a 'big city' problem. The truth is that gangs are present everywhere in America, from major urban areas to surrounding suburbs and rural communities.
- There are about 27,900 gangs in the U.S and about 774,000 gang members.
- Gangs use graffiti to mark up there territory or challenge opposing gangs.
- Some gangs mark their bodies with tattoos with the name of the gang or symbol
- Gangs are the main drug distributes in the United States.
Extra Credit Question :
Describe how the problem was in your book :
Every teen in the is in a gang and many people get killed in gangs to the point where someone dying is another dead body on the street
By Jaleyah Robinson