Mediterranean Chicken Salad
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes
There are lots of uses for this basic salad. Try mixing some cooked pasta in with it. Or placing a spoonful into boats of endive lettuce. Endive tastes particularly good with this salad, so it would also work just to chop some up and add it to the chicken salad. You could also stuff an avocado half with it, or stuff fresh tomatoes.
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp capers
- 3/4 cup mixed pitted deli olives
- 1 pinch of red chile flakes
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano or basil (or both!)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Black pepper to taste
1. Mix the minced onion with the vinegar in a bowl and set aside.
2. Bring 1 1/2 quarts of water to a boil and add about 2 tablespoons of salt. Cut the chicken breasts in half crosswise and place them in the water. Reduce the heat to low and let the chicken cook very gently, at barely a simmer, for 10-15 minutes, until just cooked through.
3. While the chicken is cooking, mix the olive oil, capers, olives, chile flakes, and oregano in a large bowl. When the chicken is done, place it on a cutting board to cool. Add the onions to the bowl with the olives. Once the chicken has cooled enough to handle, cut it into dice or shred it. Gently mix the chicken and parsley in with the olives. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.