Alpine Mac N' Cheese
1 1/2 cup of fresh, rye bread crumbs 2 tbsp. minced parsley
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted 8 oz dry cavatappi pasta
8 0z kielbasa 1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. unsalted butter 2 tbsp. shallots
1 tbsp. caraway seeds 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups of whole milk 1 cup shredded appenzeller cheese
1 cup shredded smoked Gouda 3 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1. Preheat oven t0 400 degrees. Coat a 2-qt ovenproof baking dish with nonstick spray; set aside.
2. For the topping, combine crumbs, parsley, and melted butter in a bowl. Season mixture with salt and pepper
3. For the casserole, cook pasta in a pot of boiling salted water until al dente; drain and set aside.
4. Brown kielbasa in oil in a large skillet over medium heat, about 5 minutes; transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
5. Melt 2 tbsp. butter in same pot over medium heat. Add shallots and caraway seeds; cook until seeds are toasted, 3 minutes.
6. Whisk in flour, coating shallots; cook 1 minute. whisk in milk and cook, whisking often, until slightly thickened, 5-8 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add cheeses by the handful, whisking until melted before adding the next handful.
7. Stir in Dijon and Worcestershire, then stir in pasta and kielbasa; transfer to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle topping over casserole and bake until sauce is bubbly and crumbs brown, 20-25 minutes. Let casserole rest about 5 minutes before serving.