University of Michigan

Go Wolverines!!

Campus History and Origin

Founded in 1817 as the “Catholepistemiad of Detroit,” the University of Michigan was the first public university in the Northwest Territories. In 1821 the name changed to the University of Michigan, and it moved to Ann Arbor in 1837.

At that time, Ann Arbor was a farm town of only 2,000 people. The town’s founders, John Allen and Elisha Rumsey, chose the name in honor of their wives — Ann Allen and Mary Ann Rumsey — and to recognize the massive oak trees in the area that created a natural arbor. The Ann Arbor Land Company donated the original 40 acre campus (bounded by State Street, South University, North University, and East University Avenues) to the university.

U-M enrolled its first students in Ann Arbor in 1841. The university had only two professors who taught six freshmen and one sophomore. The five campus buildings consisted of four faculty homes and one classroom/residence hall building. The faculty’s farm animals grazed over the campus, and much of the campus was fenced in to keep the city’s and the university’s animals separated.

By the 1860s, U-M was viewed as a model for younger state and public universities because it was the largest (with 1,205 enrolled students) and most successful. It remained an all-male school until Madelon Stockwell was admitted in the winter of 1870.

Today, U-M is one of the most distinguished public universities and a leader in higher education attracting top students and faculty from all over the world. Its size (more than 40,000 students), academic strength, impressive resources, and quality of its research provides an environment where students not only learn but also grow and challenge themselves by engaging with new people, cultures and ideas.

The first American to walk in space, the creator of the iPod, the co-founder of Google, and the 38th U.S. president are all Michigan alumni.

Admission Requirements

Admission Data(2014)

ACT 30-33

mid 50th % range

  • English: 30-35
  • Math: 29-34
  • Science: 28-34
  • Eng/Writing: 28-32
  • Reading: 30-34

SAT 2040-2260
mid 50th % range

  • Critical reading: 650-750
  • Math: 690-770
  • Writing: 670-770

Tuition and Costs

2014-15 Estimated Tuition and Fees

Resident (LSA freshman/sophomore): $13,486
Non-Resident (LSA freshman/sophomore): $41,906
Resident (LSA junior/senior): $15,186
Non-Resident (LSA junior/senior): $44,848

Room and Board

Standard Double $10,246
Note: There is no resident/non-resident distinction in the University’s housing fees. Fees vary based on room type assigned.

Books and Supplies

Note: these costs include all potential books, supplies, learning technology and other resources you might need. Because they vary, the figure above represents an average number and is subject to change.


The University of Michigan has been home to a range of student traditions, including the superstitious—don’t step on the bronze “M” in the diag!—and the silly—including a student carnival featuring obstacle courses and the transport of a 400-pound rock by a group of unlucky freshmen.

Degree Plan

Major: Health Professions

Career: Physical Therapist

Career Description: Physical therapists (PTs) are health care professionals who diagnose and treat individuals of all ages, from newborns to the very oldest, who have medical problems or other health-related conditions that limit their abilities to move and perform functional activities in their daily lives.

Career Requirements:

  • Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) degree
  • To practice as a physical therapist in the US, you must earn a physical therapist degree from a CAPTE- accredited physical therapist education program and pass a state licensure exam.
  • Bachelor's Degree Required
  • graduate knowledgeable
  • service-oriented
  • self-assured
  • adaptable
  • reflective practitioners
  • render independent judgments concerning patient/client needs that are supported by evidence
  • biology/anatomy
  • cellular histology
  • physiology
  • exercise physiology
  • bio mechanics
  • kinesiology
  • neuroscience
  • pharmacology
  • pathology
  • behavioral sciences
  • communication
  • ethics/values
  • management sciences
  • finance, sociology
  • clinical reasoning
  • evidence-based practice
  • cardiovascular and pulmonary
  • endocrine and metabolic
  • and musculoskeletal
  • Eighty percent (80%) of the DPT curriculum comprises classroom (didactic) and lab study and the remaining 20 percent (20%) is dedicated to clinical education.

Fight Song

Comment Stream