Blue Zones Project in the Beach Cities of California of The Shearin Group of Northwest Real Estate Brokers
Out of 55 competing cities, only three were chosen, Hermosa, Redondo and Manhattan Beach, California Beach Cities located on the coast of the Pacific Ocean about 30 minutes southwest of Los Angeles.
After a Gallup poll of 188 cities showed the Beach Cities scoring 176th in stress, 160th in anger and 178th in worry, the Beach Cities Health District decided it was time for a change. With support from citizens, the communities implemented Blue Zone’s methods and made a variety of changes throughout their environments.
· All three cities adopted the Livable Streets Plan and the Bicycle Master Plan, including construction of a pedestrian corridor along the main route people use for their work commute
· Smoking ban implemented at beaches and other outdoor areas, such as public parks, dining areas and parking lots
· 134 employers adapted their policies and programs to create a work environment where the healthier choice was the easier choice
· 42 restaurants optimized their menus to encourage people to eat better – mindlessly
· 10 schools instituted walking school buses, adult led groups of kids who walk to school daily
· 150 Walking Moais formed, connecting 1,450 former strangers who now walk together weekly
· 466 people started volunteering and put in 850 volunteering hours since May 2011