by Ali Shah and Nathan Stein
EQ- How does the geography affect the African Empires?
- Part of the West-African imperial system
- The country was very wealthy in the 9th through 11th century
- They were so rich that their pets had golden colliers
- This was the first real empire of Africa
- Mansa Musa was the leader of Ghana
- The rivers had so much gold that made Mansa Mu the richest man ever.
- May have been the richest man in history
- He was a very religious Muslim king
- When he traveled for hajj, he donated so much gold, it affected Ghana's economy
- The travel to Mecca is what popularized him around the world
- He caused many Arab merchants to go to Africa believing it was a "city of gold"
Trade In Africa
- Mansa Musa with his wealth caused many to believe Africa was "made of gold"
- Many Arab traders came to Africa hoping to get allot of gold
- Africans traded gold for salt. It might not sound good, but salt was a necessity and gold was a luxury.
- Africans also exported slaves, warriors, and animals
- Africans imported salt and raw animal materials (Ivory, animals skin, and animals bones)
Islam In Africa
- Islam was the main religion for most African countries
- Mansa Musa was the most well known Muslim in Africa
- The Arab merchants helped the spread of Islam when trading with the Africans countries
- Their culture was a mix of traditional tribal lifestyle mixed in with Arab culture, for example women had allot more rights then in most Arab countries.
- The islamics entered Africa in the early 7th century when a group of Mohammad's followers escaped persecution from the other cultures in Mecca.
- Over one third of all Muslims live in Africa. Most of them are Sunnis.
- The Muslims left Mecca and traveled into Abyssinia which was ruled by king Al-Najashi
- Mansa Musa is thought to be the richest man ever
- Mansa Musa traveled almost all of the known world and was treated like a king everywhere he went
- Ghana explorers traveled along the Atlantic ocean and some believed they were the ones who actually first found America, but theirs no written history about it.